Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day Seven Wednesday 14/6/06

Day Seven Wednesday 14/6/06

To day was a funny day. It started off in Ward One as usual, I completed another home assessment witch went much better I am starting to make them flow and go into more depth. Then I was off to a professional forum which was a meeting of all the OT’s in the northern region and they just discussed the OT needs and concerns that they have. A major concern that came up today was that people and Health Professionals don’t know about OT’s and what they do so their plan is to organize pamphlets and other ways of providing information so that there is a better awareness of OT’s. The forum went on for just over 2 hours. After lunch, I was lucky enough to talk to an occupational therapist and an Auckland occupational therapy student about what they do in the burns and scars wards. The 3rd year student that is working with the occupational therapist gave me a bit of a advise about what they do and then I helped them practice an assesment by playing the role of a client. They stuck some jells on me that are used for treatment and gave me also a bandage that is very good and this is also used for the pressure method of scar and burns rehab. After this I was back to Ward one and there I did another home interview this one went really well as my therapist stepped back and gave me some room. I was much more comfortable doing it by myself. I guess that it can be a bit daunting having someone looking over your shoulder at what you are doing.