Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fielwork one: 2006


Day One Tuesday 6/6/06:

Today was a day of orientation into the hospital. Firstly my supervising therapist took me for a look around all of the wards in the hospital, after this I was taken up to Ward one where we would spend most of the day working in with the nurses and physio staff. I went to a MTD and there we had a meeting in which we discussed all of the patients that were on the ward. Today was a busy day on the ward as it had just been a long weekend. We went and visited a few patients two were being discharged today and the other will most likely be transferred to BOI hospital as there is a shortage of beds here, he had just had a (L) THJR. The other one which really interested me was an external fitting that was healing the calf/ankle from the out side. There were a few wires that were bracing the leg which were sticking into the bone to hold it in place. Ward one is a very busy ward as people come and go all the time after surgery. Because of this it is important to prioritise your patients as some need to be discharged that day. The other two wards that I will be working on are Wards 3-4. I start work at 9am and work until 3pm Monday to Friday.